- low center of gravity
- rear wheel drive
- simple gearless mechanism for durability
- simple installation
- clean look
With the motor system selected I proceeded to select a bicycle with the following characteristics
- Disc brakes for added stopping power given higher average speeds
- Front suspension only to keep main frame triangle open for battery pack, again with the interest of low center of gravity and a clean look.
- 7 or 8 speed rear cassette since Crystalyte motor will not accomodate 9spd or 10spd cassettes/freewheels
- Additionally I wanted Shimano drivetrain and at least 4" travel fork from a recognized brand
Given the above requirements I purchased a K2 Zed 4.6 bike from the Sports Authority for $449 during a Black Friday sale.
The next step will be to select system voltage and battery capacity based on desired speed, performance, and range.